October 13 – 20, 2018
The islands of the Western Caribbean are calling you! Come experience the beautiful weather, the friendly people and the interesting culture of each of the islands. We can’t wait to welcome you aboard!
Cheryl Matzen – Quilt-N-A-Flash
ABOUT THE EDUCATOR:
Cheryl Matzen is an award winning quilter, lecturer, teacher, quilt designer, and the inventor of a revolutionary set of quilting tools. These tools, the HSTSystem, were featured in the McCall’s Quick Quilts April/May 2017 edition, and inspired by her own desire to make quilts easier and faster for anyone.
After retiring from the fast paced high-tech industry and raising her family, Cheryl started her own business, Quilt-N-A-Flash; an uncharted effort for her stirred by her real passion, quilting. Her journey into the art of quilting was inspired by her grandmother at the age of eight. Today, many decades and quilts later, her passion for quilt making is still going strong. Her mission is keep the art and legacy of quilting alive and thriving by inspiring people of all ages to learn how to or continue quilting!
In competitive quilt shows, her quilts claimed multiple First Place, a Viewer’s Choice, and a Best Theme Quilt awards. She enjoys lecturing and teaching, and has been a guest speaker and taught at many quilt groups and quilt shows across America.
She is constantly on the lookout for simple methods and enjoys passing them along. Her classes focus on building skills and confidence for beginners or expert quilt enthusiasts. Cheryl is passionate about your quilting success. Her teaching goal is to inspire others to love learning the art of quilting while having fun. And, at the end of the day, quilters surpass their own expectations.
Cheryl is a dedicated quilter and says, “Making and gifting quilts is part of my life. It’s my way of expressing my creativity and giving the comfort of wrapping up in a beautiful, cozy quilt.”
Although she enjoys her Quilt-N-A-Flash business, teaching, and making quilts, her first love is her husband, John, and her family. She was born in Idaho and really loves the outdoors. Watch for her enjoying National Parks, fishing, entertaining her family and friends, gardening, or hugging her grandson, Logan.
Cheryl has designed a whimsical sampler especially for this retreat appropriately named, Butterfly Bonanza. Because her methods are easy, and may be new to others, this quilt is appropriate for beginners or more experienced quilters. In class you will:
- Make rapid-fire half-square triangles in a flash using the HSTSystem stencils
- A little bit of foundation piecing made the easy way
- Learn the quilt block history about the block being assembled as applicable
- Choose from fat quarter fabrics for the blocks to match your personal preference
Bonus Topics and Techniques: In addition to this fun quilt top, Cheryl will share a smorgasbord of quick and easy ways to make these otherwise complicated tasks simple:
- A slight twist for easy border based on the Delectable Mountains block
- Turn under the edges of your appliqués shapes quickly and perfectly
- Make a fun scalloped border in no time
- Take the pins and headache out, sewing curved pieces are a breeze
- Easy and perfect prairie points, in one or two color designs
- Tool suggestions and organizing ideas for anyone who sews
- 13 October 2018: Ship will depart Fort Lauderdale at 4pm
- 14 October 2018: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea
- 15 October 2018: Labadee, Haiti from 8am to 5pm
- 16 October 2018: Falmouth, Jamaica from 10:30am to 7pm
- 17 October 2018: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea
- 18 October 2018: Cozumel, Mexico from 8am to 7pm
- 19 October 2018: Quilting and Cruising Day at Sea
- 20 October 2018: Ship will arrive Fort Lauderdale at 6:15am
Our workshops will be held on our days at sea. We will have Open Stitch & Sail daily as well. A complete agenda will be sent to you prior to sailing as well as other important information. Check your email regularly once you have registered.
About the Ship:We will be sailing onboard the very cool Harmony of the Seas. The world’s biggest ship with the world’s best features just got even better. There’s no turning back once you take the plunge 10 stories into the mysteries of the deep on the tallest slide at sea, Ultimate Abyss, as well as the exhilarating multilevel Perfect Storm slides. We’ve also re-imagined and enhanced the unique experiences that have made Royal Caribbean the best cruise line overall 12 years in a row.
Features of this ship include:
- The Ultimate Abyss – the tallest waterslide at sea
- Classic carnival games on the Boardwalk
- 2 FlowRider Surf Simulators
- 2 Rock Climbing Walls
- Zip Line – 9 decks up, 82 feet across
- Full Size Basketball Court
- Ice-Skating Rink
- Up to 20 dining options onboard
- Full-service Vitality at Sea spa
- State-of-the-art Fitness Center
- Central Park outdoor garden with restaurants, galleries and shopping
- 10 whirlpools – 2 cantilevered (overlooking the ocean)
- Broadway’s hit musical Grease
- Bionic Bar – featuring robot bartenders
- Hand-carved carousel on the Boardwalk
- Bars, lounges and nightclubs
- Complimentary Aqua Theater Shows, ice shows and other live entertainment
- Main pool, Sports pool, Beach pool, Solarium pool
- 7 nights onboard accommodations
- All port fees and taxes
- Onboard gratuities
- Quilting Workshops
- Complete project kit
- Evening Stitch & Sail
- Welcome Aboard Reception
- Mug Rug Exchange – you will make one and bring it with you – instructions will be sent later
- That’s A Wrap Farewell Party
- Group Dining
- Machines provided by:
Pricing is per person, based on double occupancy. Non-Quilters may deduct $250 from advertised rates. Other categories and occupancy are available upon request. All pricing is in USD.
Ocean View staterooms have a large ocean view window, two twin beds that can be converted to a queen-sized bed, considerable closet space, a private bathroom with shower stall, as well as a comfortable sitting area with desk, drawer space, vanity, and sofa. Each stateroom also has its own 32 inch interactive LCD television, thermostat controlled air-conditioning, direct-dial telephone, hair dryer, mini bar, individual safe, 100% cotton towels and linens, complimentary use of bathrobes, and 24 hour room service. Rooms will be on Deck 3.
Deluxe Ocean View staterooms have floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors that lead to your private veranda, two twin beds that can be converted to a queen-sized bed, considerable closet space, a private bathroom with shower stall, as well as a comfortable sitting area with desk, drawer space, vanity, and sofa. Each stateroom also has its own 32 inch interactive LCD television, thermostat controlled air-conditioning, direct-dial telephone, hair dryer, mini bar, individual safe, 100% cotton towels and linens, complimentary use of bathrobes, and 24 hour room service. Rooms will be on Deck 7.
PRICING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE UNTIL BOOKED AND DEPOSITED!
Payment Schedule: MONTHLY PAYMENT PLANS ARE AVAILABLE
$250 deposit per person due at time of registration
$250 second deposit per person due by 1 November 2017
Final balance due on or before 1 July 2018
**Trip/Travel Insurance through Travel Guard will be quoted by email following the original deposit.
***Cancellation Fees Apply beginning 1 November 2017 (see Terms and Conditions when registering for details)